The ESM Board of Education authorizes:
Distances from legal residence to school, for the purpose of determining eligibility for transportation, must be measured by the nearest available road from home driveways to school entrance of property. Door-to-door transportation is not reasonable. Transportation will be adequate and reasonable under existing conditions and in accordance with law.
Supervision and Conduct:
Supervision: While the law requires the school district to furnish transportation, it does not relieve parents of the responsibility of supervision until such time as the child boards the bus in the morning and after the child leaves the bus at the end of the school day.
Once a child boards the bus—and only at that time—does he or she become the responsibility of the school district. Such responsibility ends when the child is delivered to the regular bus stop at the close of the school day.
Safe Rider Procedures:
1. Observe the same conduct as in the classroom.
2. Be courteous, use no profane language.
3. Keep your hands to yourself.
4. Do not eat or drink on the bus.
5. Keep the bus clean, place all trash in the container located in front, when the bus is not moving.
6. Cooperate with the driver.
7. No smoking
8. Do not be destructive; parents may have to pay for damages.
9. Stay in your seat
10. Keep your head, hands and feet inside the bus.
11. The bus driver is authorized to assign seats
12. Follow instructions as given to you by the driver.
13. No animals, including reptiles, amphibians and insects
Conduct: The bus is an extension of the classroom and the ESM Board of Education requires children to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with standards for behavior established by the administration.
Teachers and parents should help children understand the standard of bus discipline, as well as the reasons for these regulations. Most importantly, bus discipline will help prevent accidents caused by distractions from pupils.
If an extreme violation occurs on the way to or from school, it may be necessary to request police assistance. Should this occur, the Transportation Supervisor, Building Principal and/or their designated representative will respond. Building Principals will notify parents of all suspensions. A copy of the district's discipline plan is available at the Transportation Department, 7225 N. Central Ave., East Syracuse, or by calling: (315) 434-3460.